Monday, October 05, 2009

Cleansing

Update...

So, in my quest for better health and a tighter body by November 20th (the day we leave for our Playa Thanksgiving adventure), I have committed to only weighing myself once a week. On Mondays. Before I get in the shower in the AM.

When I updated two weeks ago, I weighed 133.4.
Last Monday, I weighed 132.2.
Today, I weighed 131.2.

So everything is going in the right direction, right? My goal is 122. I think it's reasonable.

I'm a results-oriented person and I also like instant gratification. The past 12 months have been a yo-yo of working out, eating right, being a slug, eating like crap, starting over, getting discouraged, and a complete yo-yo! I took a couple of months off from working out, and when I would go back to it, I'd run for a couple of days and then take four weeks off. Not good.

I leave for Playa in 45 days. In an effort to jump start things in my body last week, I decided to do a cleanse.

I'm not going to say which one, other than to say it wasn't a starvation cleanse, but more of a "move things along" cleanse. I stuck with it for 6 days, finally giving up yesterday.

I'm not a proponent of "cleanses." I've always railed loud and long about the negative health effects of them. And after last week? I haven't changed my mind. Cleanses are dangerous. When you take what amounts to a handful of laxatives (under the guise of "herbal" and "root" and blah, blah, healthy, blah) twice a day for a week, you are going to lose weight. In my case, I lost a pound, but I coupled the "cleanse" with four days of exercise and one or two better food choices. If I'd coupled the exercise with good, healthy eating, my results would probably had been better cleanse or no cleanse.

The good news from last week? I worked out Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday. For that, I'm proud of myself.

No comments: