Thursday, March 08, 2007

Motivation

I've seen several posts around about lack of motivation... So tell me, what inspires you to make healthy food choices and work out?

Is it an upcoming vacation?
Do blogs like this help?
Seeing other people who look good?
Seeing other people who look bad?
A spouse?
What?

For me, it's all of the above. One of my guilty pleasure TV shows is The Girls Next Door and seeing Holly and Kendra (not Bridget, because, well, frankly, Hef could do better) make me realize that I have work to do. And seeing people in real life whose bodies are better than mine, especially if they are people that I absolutely cannot stand (I'm shallow, sue me), fuels my determination to step away from the cookies. Getting a release from the frustrations in life (petty and major) is a pretty major motivation factor for me. Lately, I've been extremely stressed out and I see a direct link between the stress and not finding an appropriate release for it all. Also, having a husband on my ass to make better choices helps... Sometimes... I work better on positive reinforcement, so when I get it, I am encouraged to do more. And keeping a journal on it helps, too.

So what inspires you? And if you'd like to be a part of this and track your progress online with me, post a comment and I'll make you part of "Team NeedToWorkOut". :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

See, that's part of my problem: I lack motivation. Well, more accurately, all of the things you mention motivate me (right down to "Girls Next Door"!), but not for any real length of time. I joined Weight Watchers and was doing very well, was almost to my goal weight, and then my mom's health went south and everything went out the window. I've recently started paying more attention to what I eat and have been getting more active. We'll see where it leads.

I'd be happy to be your cheerleader on the days you feel you need it.

Take care.
-Miranda

Mrs Pop said...

For me, right now, my main motivation is that countdown ticker at the top of the page, but it is SO HARD to take those first steps. Like today, for example, I made a pledge to start eating better, so what have I wanted all damn day? Cake. Ice cream. Snickers. Urgh!

Thanks! I'll happily return the favor. :)

Pitter Patterson said...

i just need some sort of equipment that can drag my lazy ass out of bed at 6am. i wake up, yes, but moving the body out of the bed.... i just CAN'T do it. if i can just get up, then ill work out. any ideas??!!!

Mrs Pop said...

I wish I had an answer for that one... My alarm goes off at 6 to go to work and I usually don't drag myself out of bed until 6:20 or so... Getting up even earlier to work out? That isn't gonna happen!

emily said...

I'm back with Chalene on the turbo jam wagon. 2 days and I'm sore. I've been watching what I eat for a couple weeks and I've lost about 8 pounds. But this last week has been awful. That's why I started the Jam again. Hopefully that'll help me not eat the junk. Hopping around in a sports bra in front of a mirror tends to make me want to be thinner.

Mrs Pop said...

Way to go, Emily! I've been really bad, but I'm working my way back. Turbo Sculpt and Ab Jam are still my favorites, but I really need the cardio. I just ordered Maximum Results, so I'll post a review of that once it comes in and I've tried the workouts. I'm more excited about the gloves than anything, I think!